Originally when I thought of writing my August Preparedness List I was thinking of 90+ degree days and dealing with the heat and back to school, but with the Wacky Weather were currently experiencing this has changed.
Back to School Preparedness:
- Your children’s know the way to and from school and what to do if the vehicle breaks down or any other traveling emergency
- Your child knows your phone number
- With school’s going on lock-down and all the other emergencies, everyone knows what to do
- Everyone is on school schedule – getting up and ready in time in particular
- Your child knows what to do if they arrive home and you are not there
- As a parent what will you do with your free time?
- You have enough gas to get to wherever you might need to go, for me this means never parking with less than half a tank of gas.
- Check your oil including when it’s due
- While your there check your washer fluid and break fluid levels, they should be up to the fill line.
- Check your tire pressure
- Make sure you have emergency blankets for each person you might have
- Make sure your lights work, I know were supposed to do it each time we go out but most of us don’t.
- You have whatever kinds of fuel you need to heat your home, ideally enough to last you the entire winter
- Your prepared if you loose electricity
- Check chimneys
- Trim any trees that need it, especially those near your home and driveway
- Check your fire extinguisher’s are fully charged and up to date
- Make sure your fire detectors work and your family knows what to do if there is a fire.
- Make sure your emergency contacts are up to date and your children know where to find them